Q. How many sick days am I granted each year?
A. Contract and probationary teachers are granted 12 days per school year.  These are credited prior to the beginning of the school year.

Q. How many sick days are granted to temporary teachers?
A. Temporary teachers begin a school year with 2 days.  They then accrue one day each month for a total of 12 for the school year.

Q. Can these days be used for illness in my family?
A. Yes.  Sick time for illness in the immediate family is allowed for up to ten days per year.

Q. What is the "immediate family?"
A. The immediate family includes a parent, child, brother, sister, grandparent, husband, wife, parent of husband or wife or any relative permanently residing in your personal household


Q. How many total sick days can I have?
A. Sick days can be accumulated to 220 days. Remember that each year on July 1, unused  sick and personal days from the previous year are automatically credited to you.

Q. What if I am a temporary teacher and need sick days before I have earned them?
A. When a temporary teacher accrues days, they may be reimbursed for sick leave taken without pay due to the unavailability of sick leave at the time of illness.

Q. What if I am a part-time teacher?
A. Part-time teachers receive pro-rated sick leave benefits based on the amount of time worked.

Q. What if I run out of sick time?
A. Employees may convert unused personal days to sick time.  Also, employees with at least 10 years of service may request and shall receive two 30-day extensions of sick time from the Board of Education upon the recommendation of the superintendent.

Q. What if I have not worked 10 years?
A. All teachers are eligible to join the Sick Leave Bank. Employees may donate 2, 3 or 4 days to the Sick Leave Bank and then are eligible to withdraw or utilize up to 95 days of sick time dependent on the number of years of service of the employee and the number of days donated.  Complete information is available by calling the Sick Leave Bank at BTF at 881-5462.

Q. If I am sick over the summer through to the beginning of the school year, do I have to report on the first day of school to use my sick time?
A. Permanent and probationary teachers can use their accumulated sick leave on the first day of the school year as long as they notify the school or Personnel Office that they are unable to report due to illness.

Q. Does this apply to all employees?
A. No, this does not apply to first year employees.  These employees will be given sick leave after they report for service.

Q. What happens to my sick time when I retire or leave the District?
A. Teachers who retire may receive reimbursement for a portion of the full value of their sick time.  There are two formulas in Article XXVI. (2) on p. 74-75 of your BTF contract based on number of years of service, final annual salary and the number of days.

Example: Compensation for a person with 21 years of service with the District, a final annual salary of $64,157 and 150 unused days would be calculated in this way:

21% of 150 = 31.5 days

1/200th of $64,157 = $320.79

Compensation = 31.5 x $320.79 = $10,104.89

Your LRS representative can assist you in calculating this payment.

Teachers with 5 years or more who leave the District for other reasons may receive reimbursement based on a formula also in Article XXVI. (2) of your contract.  You may want to check with your LRS representative to assist you in determining the amount to which you are entitled.

Currently there is a grievance regarding teachers who were laid off and received a cash buy out of their sick time despite not having requested it.  The District even disbursed this payment to teachers who returned to other tenure areas and never actually suffered a period of lay off.  We will keep you informed as to the resolution.

Q. What if I leave the District before 5 years?
A. Your accumulated sick time is held for you and will be reinstated if you decide to return to teach in the District.

Q. What do I do if I believe my sick time accumulation on my pay stubs is incorrect?
A. Check with your school clerk to make sure there has not been an error made at the school.  Call your LRS representative to assist you in rectifying the problem.