Memo To:   All Buffalo Teachers

From:         Philip Rumore, President, BTF

Date:          May 11, 2021


Subject:     Updates – School Safety, Negotiations, Class Size/Caseloads, Grievances, Transfers

School Safety
While teachers have advised us that health and safety conditions and procedures have improved, we are still hearing of serious issues.


If there are serious health and safety issues at your school, please report them to your LRS (Click Here) and This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..


If after what you consider a reasonable time, they have not been resolved, please repeat the above procedure so that we know that issues(s) have not been resolved.


We will continue to do whatever is necessary to ensure that our schools are safe for students, staff, parents and the community.


Yes, some are angry with us; however, we will, as we always do, do what we know is in the best interest of our students, staff, parents and community. No one will ever know the physical harm prevented or the lives saved as a result of ours and the District’s actions.


Be assured many have benefited from our actions though they may not know it.


Our next court date before Judge Colaiacovo is scheduled for May 20, 2021.


Stay tuned.

We are still awaiting the mediator’s suggested meeting dates to resume negotiations. Please be careful what you say in front of some administrators. Some are advising District administrators that teachers are divided, just want a contract, and will accept anything.


Not now, not ever! We have worked on a state and national level to secure major funding increases. There can be no excuses.


A contract not reflective of those around us – but superior to them.

Lower Class Sizes/Caseloads, Etc.
The District has millions of dollars that must be utilized to undo the damage done to the education of our students.


We must and will ensure that the funding that must be used for that purpose is used for that purpose and not wasted (more administrators, programs that don’t work, etc.).


Enclosed, please find a copy of correspondence sent to the Superintendent and Board. (Click Here)


In addition, we will continue to work with parents to ensure that the use of the funds are agreed to by your Site Based Management Teams (SBMTs).


Yes, if necessary we will got to court. Hopefully, we will not have to.

We will be appearing before the Public Employment Relations Board (PERB) on May 12, 2021 in relation to the charges we filed against the District for violating the grievance procedures.


An arbitration relating to the District’s unilateral change to Medicare Part D for some members is scheduled for June 10, 2021.


We have reached agreement, if the teacher agrees, to have Level III (Superintendent) hearings held virtually until August 31, 2021, unless either side terminates said agreement – memorandum of understanding (MOU).


Other grievance hearings are being heard in-person and virtually.


We have just received a copy of the absurd (at best) email regarding transfers. More on this insanity tomorrow.


Please stay well. Take no chances.